background

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Bless Our Messy Husbands

This week a neighbor and friend lost her husband to a massive heart attack. He was in his early 40's. When I found out about it my heart broke for her knowing that she would have to return home and face life with out her best friend. It made me hug my husband and thank the Lord for each day I have with him and also I had to repent before the Lord for not appreciating my husband like I should.
You see he does things that bother me, he makes messes. He will come in from working in hundred degree weather and make himself a sandwich but rather than put the mustard and mayo away when he is done he leaves them on the counter, he doesn't even put the lid back on. He leaves crumbs all over the counter that end up all over the floor. It drives me crazy! Oh and let me tell you what else he does...the bathroom is right across the hall from our room and does he make the long journey to hang up his towel after he showers??? Nope, there it lies on the floor till I pick it up! Dirty socks? You guessed it, right there next to the wet towels and his shoes never make it to the shoe shelf, NEVER!
When I heard about my friend I was immediately convicted by the Holy Spirit that I was grumbling and murmuring, just like the Israelites in the desert, when I had opportunity to take care of my husband. Thinking of her having to pick up her husbands socks for the last time knowing that never again would they cover the feet of the man she loved, never again would he throw them onto the floor, tired at the end of the day from working hard knowing that his dear wife would gladly wash them and return them clean into his sock drawer. She might be wiping the crumbs from the counter, sweeping them off the floor, putting the mayo and mustard back in the fridge knowing that he would not visit the kitchen again to fill his belly. Matter of fact he would not be there at Thanksgiving or Christmas or at their sons or daughters birthday dinners. She will be faced with folding his laundry and not knowing where to put it now...No more wet towels to pick up off the floor from this day out.... and no more shoes in the middle of the floor.
Wow thank you Jesus for showing me how blessed I am to have a husband to take care of and for opening my eyes at just how blessed I am. We are not guaranteed even tomorrow. I want my husband to know I love him and I want him to feel loved and even if he does not ever stop to wonder how the mustard magically gets put back in the fridge I know that he will appreciate coming home to a sweet wife who does not tell him how many feet the bedroom is from the bathroom to hang up his wet towel!
Death is a curse yet even in death there is the blessing of having our eyes open to what is important in life, the people around us, our relationships. Let us all serve the ones we love with a happy heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment