background

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Sounds of Home

As I was doing dishes with one hand and holding the sling close to me and bouncing up and down and this way and that way Heaven asked me a question. I could not make out what she said and I did not want to strain to hear her above the wee ones cries and so I tolled her I could hear too much noise at the moment and to please wait till it died down to share with me what she wanted to say. I get overwhelemed with too much noise these days. She then asked me what noises I heard and so I really listened and made out these noises.

Simeon was on the stairs, comming up or down I was not sure but there was a squeak squeak of the stairs. Eve was putting the silverware away clinking and clanking. The water was running in front of me, rinsing away the peanut butter and syrup pancakes dinner I had peddled to the children and from the downstairs I could hear my husband acting out the story of Elisha. The music was playing Be Though My Vision instumental on low and of course the loudest noise of all was baby Job Isaiah who was really upset and crying ever so loud although I had gone through the whole list. Diaper changed-check, topped of on milk-check, burped-check, is he hot, is he cold? -check, does he want his vibrating seat...no!-check, swing...no!-check and thus he was being worn by his mama and still crying. So I shared the noises with Heaven and immediately they were not really loud and overwhelming but had become sweet and sounds of home.

A fun daddy who is teaching bible stories enthousiastically like he does every Sunday evening when he could be doing anything else. He fixes a snack to make it speacial for the big boys, tonight it was yougurt and Heaven and I added saltines with cheese and breadsticks.

A two year old who is brilliant, a beautiful child, fun and curious and he is mine. A miracle who was born only three weeks early but with undeveloped lungs, so under developed that he needed a respirator to breath completely for him for three whole days, he had an IV that went into his umbilical cord, the most effective yet dangerouse place due to location to the heart, and it became infected with staff, the #1 cause for infant death in hospitals. Yet here he is making noise, strong, loud, fun noises!

The sound of water, clean water right in my house. Hot water rinsing off plates. What a luxery to have plumbing, clean water, hot water. What riches to never want for food.

Eve, 4 years old playing with the silverware to make the task enjoyable. She is searving her family, helping me, learning to be a wife and mother. She is in no hurry and humms a tune while she is clanking the forks...sweet noises.


Job Isaiah who wakes up in the morning with a smile, is so easy to please and sleeps through the night is crying and I can not fix it. He is still beautiful when he cries. His hair sticks straight up and his little nose flares!!! I can rest assured that I can do nothing more for him but try and be a comfort as he is working through what ever it is that has him in such a fit.

And then there is Sweet Heaven, so willing to help in anyway at anytime. She likes to ask questions as we work together, visit, sing songs and share her heart. I can't hear what she is asking over the noise. I don't want to strain either, but as soon as she asked me to really stop and listen to the noises I realized that there was nothing to be overwhlemed with, all was well. All was very very well. And this was good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment